August 14, 2020
I remember it was the beginning of 2018 when I first heard about the Philippines from my friends. I wanted to come to the Philippines to study English. But some of my friends back in China was shocked when they heard about it. In most people’s impression, the Philippines is a poor and undeveloped country, with 6 common myths below.
1. Taxi fare increases arbitrarily to cheat people.
2. There are many pitfall restaurants and they are easy to be cheated.
3. Valuables are easy to be stolen anywhere, even in the hotel.
4. If you are bitten by a mosquito in the Philippines, you can easily get dengue fever.
5. There are many thieves and robbers everywhere in the country.
6. English is not good in the Philippines. If you want to learn English, you should choose Britain, the United States, Australia, Canada and New Zealand. You should not go to the Philippines.
I have been in Cebu, staying in the dormitory of 3D Academy School for almost 1 year now. I can answer these questions.
I have taken taxis many times, including to the airport, piers and shopping malls. Most of the drivers I met not only charge strictly according to the meter, they also do not make a detour, and most of them have good attitude towards the passengers like us. There are indeed a very small number of drivers with poor quality (there are such people everywhere). However, most of the people I met who encountered problems with taxi drivers were mainly due to their poor English and poor communication.
And you know what, you can always use Grab to ride a taxi now.
(English is very important so now I am still taking English classes in Cebu 3D Academy School😄)
Come and see the cute Cebu driver learning how to bark like a dog here😄
I had never met a pitfall restaurant throughout my entire 1 year stay in Cebu because I always order from the menu and the price is clear at a glance. I don’t even know where to meet a pitfall restaurant😄. If you don’t like go out to eat, you can use foodpanda now.
I have stayed in several hotels in Cebu by now and there is not one thing missing. In fact, there are good people and bad people everywhere, and it’s always right to protect yourself with constant vigilance. You can always book a hotel by respectable websites such as Booking.com
I was bitten by mosquitoes at Cebu from time to time and I didn’t find anything unusual. If you are feeling sick, just go to the hospital. They have high quality hospitals here. You don’t have to be too nervous. Make sure you have a foreign travel insurance that covers your bill here.
I have never met robbers but I have encountered thieves occasionally. But it happens everywhere in most countries, possibly even in your home country. Just make sure you don’t bring too much cash with you. Keep your valuables in the hotel. Stay vigilant of your surroundings and pay special attention on where to keep your mobile phones and bags.
Here comes the point, don’t underestimate Filipino English.
1. The Philippines provides the lowest-priced and high-quality English teachers for students with continuous and rapid growth in the world and with language learning needs.
2. English teaching in the Philippines has become a mature industry. Both Japanese and South Koreans come here to learn English. There are roughly 100,000 Korean students in the Philippines a year. The abundant English teachers here not only attracted many students from Asian countries, but also attracted many Asian businessmen to open English language schools in the Philippines. The Philippines is the only country that declare English as official language apart from Singapore in the ASEAN countries.
3. In the Philippines, where English is the official language, English education has attracted attention for its high quality and low prices. Most of the school fees quoted includes tuition, accommodation, and three meals everyday at only one-third of the cost for European and American study trip.
4. The Philippine study tour, one-to-one teaching and intensive English learning methods, can indeed effectively address the shortcomings of Asian students who “can only take exams and cannot speak English”.
5. To be effective in language learning, small class teaching is necessary. Small class teaching is a principle that the language education policy must implement. If small class or customized teaching can be achieved, it does not matter when you start learning English. If there are more than 20 students in a class, language will be reduced to a “teaching subject” rather than a “tool to use”. Most of the time, when you enroll into an English class in the United States, Britain, Australia and Canada, there are usually 10-15 students per class. You can hardly practice English speaking in such environment. But in the Philippines, you can have many 1:1 individual classes and small group classes like 3-4 students in one group.
There are so many benefits to study English in the Philippines which I cannot even finish listing them all. Just to let you know, I choose to study English at the 3D Language School in Cebu, Philippines. By the way, 3D currently has online English! You can sign up and take the individual 1:1 classes from anywhere in the world. Unfortunately, the time schedule is limited. So make sure you sign up soon.
Don’t always think that the Philippines is not good here and there. In fact, if you come to the Philippines, you will find that there are many reasons to come to the Philippines.
Beautiful beaches, colorful, culturally significant festivals, the beauty of Palawan is absolutely beyond your imagination, close contact with whale sharks, island hopping, churches, etc.
3D Instagram 3dacademy.tw
Hi, I am Jack. I manage social media and information marketing for the school in China. It is my goal to help and support others. Tell me if you need my help. I’m ready to help.